Saturday, April 18, 2009

Alternative cooking/heating














































Good Morning All.

I am so happy I don't have to work today.

One of the many things I do is constantly think about ways to cook food off grid. My Nana heated her home & cooked on these kerosene stoves until the early 80's. My Grampy always went down to the basement to fill the kerosene. She had a metal box with a temperature gauge on top of one of the burners to bake in . She made the best pot roast. She lived in a small New England seacoast town that now-a -days most people that grew up there can't afford to stay. She passed in 1987 when I was 13. I still think about her all the time. I know if she were still alive she would be a wealth of information. Okay moving on so I dont cry on my laptop.

Other ways I tought about cooking/and or heating is on a wood stove. I would love one like the one pictured above.

Then there is the solar oven which would take the place of my crockpot, also pictured above. The outdoor oven made of brick or adobe, propane & open fire.

Because we are in an apartment I have the small propane camping oven & the Coleman camping oven "the metal box". The outdoor propane grill, and the Mr. Buddy portable heater. My next cooking purchase may be a solar oven.
My thoughts on this is you should have multiple sources to cook/heat with depending on the season, weather & what sources are available to you.

So for now I use what I can in my apartment ...longing for fresh air, stars in the sky, and my husband being able to "working to live ...not living to work", and trying to learn as much as I can by reading my books and "listening" to all of the like-minded bloggers in cyber space.
Enjoy your day everyone!
Comment & Ideas are appreciated. I would love to hear about other ways you cook your food.

























3 comments:

  1. I still use a coleman stove, and someday I want an outdoor cooking area like ther one in the pic!

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a stone cook stove outside, i have only used it like a grill, and we made applesauce on it, to can. I have a large cast iron dutch oven i am looking forward to learning how to cook in!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best there is the old brick oven with the firebox underneath. It doesn't have the pizzazz of all the new stuff, but it is the most effective.

    First time here, glad I came to have a look. Blame hermit Jim for my presence...

    ReplyDelete